Game of Thrones Season 3 ‘A Storm of Swords’ Characters Revealed
Like others who read A Clash of Kings before HBO aired the series I was somewhat disappointed with the absence of many key characters: Jojen and Meera Reed and the Tullys to name a few. But all is not lost! Directors David Benioff and Dan Weiss confirmed to EW that we will indeed be seeing these characters in season 3. *YAY*
“[Jojen and Meera Reed] haven’t been written out. It’s important to point out that that we have the largest cast on television right now. We introduced dozens of new characters in season 2. If you hurl 300 characters at an audience, the story collapses under the weight of too many faces, too many names, and too many subplots. We need to be just as mindful of the audience members who have never read the books as we are of the readers; the series will fail if we only appeal to those who already know the characters. So we try to be parsimonious about how many new roles we introduce to the story and when we introduce them.”
Here’s the list of characters that we will be seeing including some non-spoilery descriptions:
– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.
– Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.
– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.
– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.
– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.
– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.
– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.
– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.
– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.
– Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.
– Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.